Monday, November 30, 2009

How Do You Get To Kathmandu?

So, I was supposed to go to Lucknow today, but I bought a train ticket for the wrong date, 12/30, instead of 11/30 and there's a strike today, not a union strike but a political party strike.  Apparently the transportation industry is aligned with the party that's striking.  So no buses, no trains, no cabs...at least in theory.  I found a ride to the border at three times the normal cost, still that's under $5 for an hour ride.  Though the driver had to take the long way to avoid road blocks of strikers, we almost ran into a group of them as they spanned the road ahead, but were warned off and took some back streets. 

I could have walked right across the border, no one checked anything, but getting back into India would not have been fun.  So, I stamped out of India in a little grass hut and went into customs to get my Nepal vista, which costs $25 plus 100 Rupes "tip."

Normally there are 15 buses a day leaving here for Kathmandu, I'm in the border town of Karkarvitta.  Today there are 3 because of the strike.  I was hanging out at the travel agency where I bought my ticket and the owner confessed to me that no one here would take the bus.  It's about $10 to take the bus and $100 to fly, the flights about an hour the bus can take 17 hours.  I figure the bus will make for a better story. 

I'll report in on the trip after I recover, if and when I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment