Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Out of Mongolia, Back in China

The rest of the gobi trip was mainly lots of driving. Though we did
ride Mongolian horses for 30 minutes on the last day. Then it was 30
hours by train, back to Beijing.

My girlfriend booked me a night at the Grand Hyatt in Beijing! Best
after Mongolian adventure present ever! It has the best pool I've
ever seen in a hotel and a nifgt of comfort and privacy was spot on.

I'm in Xi'an now, here for one more night. Then off to Shanghai for a
few days.

Yesterday I went up on top of the city wall and rented a bike. It's
the only intact fully surrounding city wall in the world. It's 13.7 km
long. 3/4 of the way through it started raining. It's probably the
only safe, relaxing bike ride in any city in china. Was much fun.

Today I went out to see the Terracotta warriors! Holy fucking shit!
That first emporer dude was out of his freaking mind. And aren't we
glad... They have 3 pits, turned museums that have thousands of life
size warriors in them. It's a you have to see it kind of thing. Though
I did buy the newly updated picture book. They find new cool stuff all
the time. Talk about an archeologist's wet dream.

Apparently there are more amazing things hurried out there including
an underground city that's a model of China. Complete with mercury
rivers the emperor's tomb floats arround on, visiting his country.

In fairness, he was smart as well as crazy. Did lots off good stuff.
Esablished common caligraphy, money, weights and measures.

Another week and I'll meet up with my girlfriend in Bangkok! Hi
sweetheart!

2 comments:

  1. I saw a program on PBS about the tomb with the mercury rivers - I SO want to see that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and billions of Chinese and me and.....at this point it's a myth.

    ReplyDelete