Friday, December 4, 2009

Kathmandu

I mean just the name sounds like a place you have to visit right?  I stayed in the Thamel district, which it turns out is a tourist shit hole. Once I got out side of it, the city was, well a historic city in a developing country, run down but full of character. I was only there for two nights as my math was off and I had a ticket to Rajistan waiting for me in Lucknow.  I'd planned on spending 4 days here and after spending one, I really wish I had. 

They don't get an overabundance of tourists here and once I got over my melt down of this morning and afternoon, I had a great time.  I took a pedicab out to the Residence, which is the remains of a British Raj. area the was attacked during the revolution.  I didn't see much of it because people kept coming up to say hello and have conversations.  People in the street would stop me to say hello and ask where I'm from.  It was a very nice day, once I decided to have fun again.  That's India for you, complex, rich, and at time incomprehensible. 

I came close to ending my trip short this morning, but I'm glad I didn't.  I'm expecting to have a few chill days in the desert in Jaisalmer.  I'm staying in a 500 year old Haveli, basically a castle cut out of sandstone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment